Piracetam is the first compound developed under the racetam class and was synthetically created by Belgium lab UCB Pharma. Of the racetam class, this is perhaps the most discussed and utilized nootropic. Its mechanism of action is poorly understood, but many speculate that it improves cognition without stimulating or sedating properties. In other words, it doesn't seem to affect a person's arousal. It is a modulator of the AMPA receptor and may work on various ion channels within the brain to excite neurons. Additionally, it improves acetylcholine functioning and may influence NMDA glutamate receptors. There is some evidence that it increases the amount of blood flow and oxygen to the brain. It is not approved in the United States for any condition, but is approved in the United Kingdom. In recent years it has gained popularity among students as a way to increase academic performance.
Piracetam is categorized under Racetams.
It is also known as Pyracetam, Pyrrolidone acetamide, 2-Oxo-1-pyrrolidine, Memotopril, Fezam with cinnarizine, UCB6215.
Also KnownPyracetam, Pyrrolidone acetamide, 2-Oxo-1-pyrrolidine, Memotopril, Fezam with cinnarizine, UCB6215
DescriptionPiracetam is the first compound developed under the racetam class and was synthetically created by Belgium lab UCB Pharma. Of the racetam class, this is perhaps the most discussed and utilized nootropic. Its mechanism of action is poorly understood, but many speculate that it improves cognition without stimulating or sedating properties. In other words, it doesn't seem to affect a person's arousal. It is a modulator of the AMPA receptor and may work on various ion channels within the brain to excite neurons. Additionally, it improves acetylcholine functioning and may influence NMDA glutamate receptors. There is some evidence that it increases the amount of blood flow and oxygen to the brain. It is not approved in the United States for any condition, but is approved in the United Kingdom. In recent years it has gained popularity among students as a way to increase academic performance.
Piracetam is not just your ordinary compound where different other compounds and supplements are derived from. It is one of the widely known and researched nootropics because of the cognitive benefits it provides and because it could be considered the first nootropic to be developed and labelled. Whether you are a student, a professional, or somebody who needs to step up your cognitive capabilities, then Piracetam will be a great starting supplement for you. A side: It can be used as a hangover pill after a night out consuming alcohol, you can examine the results for yourself.
1. Enhanced Cognitive Performance As Piracetam is absorbed and crosses the blood-brain barrier, it acts on our brain, specifically the Acetylcholine receptors which are largely responsible for an individual's learning abilities. This is the reason why one's learning capacity, memory, and focus may be improved. Moreover, there is an increased oxygen and blood supply to the brain. With this, there will is a significant boost in energy as well as an enhanced ability to focus and pay attention to any task at hand.(1)
2. Enhanced Cellular and Neuronal Communication Sounds complicated but the concept is simple, Piracetam influences the cell membranes in the brain so there is better cellular communication as well as membrane fluidity. With this, there is enhanced learning capability and enhanced formation and retrieval of memories. Researchers have also claimed that Piracetam is able to influence nerve growth and in forming new synapses. If this is true, there should be more efficient neuronal communication which should contribute to the maintenance of brain health and cognitive functionin.(2)
3. Piracetam's Neuroprotective Properties Aside from the cognitive enhancement that Piracetam provides, it also possesses neuroprotective properties. It serves to remove toxins and substances that may damage the brain. This also explains why it seems to be beneficial for those suffering with Cerebrovascular diseases or stroke. It serves to reduce the damage brought about the disease and can also be taken as a preventive care.(1)
It is imperative for supplements to be taken at the right amount and frequency for it to produce the desired effects while potentially eliminating the undesired ones. Piracetam has a wide range of recommended doses ranging from 1.5g to 9.5g daily (1). However, most users find the dose of 800 mg (3x day) very beneficial while others seem to respond positively even with a baseline dose of 400 mg(2). As for Piracetam frequency, some users take their dose two to three times a day to have a sustained effect since Piracetam has a half-life of about 4 to 5 hours. (2)
It would be best to start off with the lowest possible dose that will still yield its effects. Also, it is important for you to see and observe how you personally react to the drug, especially if you are a first-timer. Moreover, some people may also need to consult their healthcare provider first for their suggested Piracetam dosage and frequency since their condition and health status may play a role.
2. Stacking Piracetam Stacking supplements may yield better and faster results. Lets start off with the Cholinergics. Cholinergics serve to increase levels of choline and/or acetylcholine in our brain as well as inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine. And in the case of Piracetam, it needs a sufficient and sustained supply of Acetylcholine for it to effficently produce its effects. Thus with Piracetam and Choline working alongside, the stack yields better results. Additionally, Cholinergics also serve to decrease and/or prevent some side effects that Piracetam may bring, such as headaches. Piracetam side effect may be attributed by a deficient supply of acetylcholine in the brain thus, producing headaches. Some of the more widely used Cholinergics you can buy to use alongside are: Alpha GPC, Citicoline and Centrophenoxine. You can also do a side-by-side comparison of the difference between two racetams before stacking them, example of Aniracetam vs Piracetam here.
Aside from the Piracetam Choline stack, Piracetam may also be used along with the other members of the Racetam family such as Aniracetam and Oxiracetam, among many others. On the other hand, Piracetam may also be used in conjunction with the other stronger nootropics such as Noopept, Adrafinil (smart drug), Modafinil (smart drug), Phenylpiracetam. This is done in order to have a stronger and longer-lasting cognitive boost for individuals who need to deal with more challenging mental tasks.
3. Piracetam Administration Piracetam is water-soluble so you do not need to consume it with food for it to be absorbed efficiently. However, some users prefer to take it with other beverages that have stronger taste such as orange juice. This is because Piracetam powder more specifically, has a bitter taste (1).
4. Piracetam "attack dose" Although this practice is optional, many recommend taking an initial "attack dose” of Piracetam especially for those who are just starting. Also known as the "loading dose", Piracetam is taken with a starting dose of two times or three times or higher than the moderate dose. In this way, it will allow you to build up a certain concentration of Piracetam in your system right away. After taking the attack dose for a short period of time, for example 2 days, you can now take Piracetam at the moderate dose already. However, we should take note that the “attack doses” should not exceed the safe dosage recommendations to avoid toxicity (which is low, and reported to be lower than that of table salt, so this should be seen as 'too dangerous'). (1)
Where to buy Piracetam Capsules or Powder Online?
It is readily available in the form of Piracetam tablets (Nootropil -- A drug sold in Eastern Europe) and powder and pill form online. If you are looking to try Piracetam, we advise you to click here to go to a safe, and trustable source that provides a certificates of authenticity (COA) and has a third-party lab test the powders for purity.
Additionally they're prices are low (and sometimes have Piracetam on Sale) and are well respected in the nootropic community online. We usually fluctuate between vendors and can sometimes provide a discount from vendors so it best to always check back and buy directly from the link above, as many times vendors increase prices or no longer carry Piracetam. The above vendor ships to the UK, Canada, US, Europe generally, Australia and New Zealand among other places. Piracetam is not FDA approved and is not readily sold OTC in America, so you will definitely not find it in GNC, Vitamin Shoppe or your local pharmacy.
Reviewer: Kathleen R. RN, PT Wiki Last Updated: 2016-02-12