Noopept is a peptide that is primarily marketed throughout Russia, has been patented, and is sold as a dietary supplement in the United States and throughout Europe. It is regarded as one of the most effective and strongest of all the nootropic supplements and claimed to be up to 1000 times more powerful than Piracetam. Although it carries a mechanism of action similar to that of racetams it does not fall within the racetam classification. Research states that it not only enhances cognitive function but may also be neuroprotective.
Noopept is categorized under Racetams.
It is also known as GVS-111, N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester, Noopeptide.
Also KnownGVS-111, N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester, Noopeptide
DescriptionNoopept is a peptide that is primarily marketed throughout Russia, has been patented, and is sold as a dietary supplement in the United States and throughout Europe. It is regarded as one of the most effective and strongest of all the nootropic supplements and claimed to be up to 1000 times more powerful than Piracetam. Although it carries a mechanism of action similar to that of racetams it does not fall within the racetam classification. Research states that it not only enhances cognitive function but may also be neuroprotective.
Noopept is touted as one of the most powerful memory boosters, however many claim it's usefulness also comes from being a powerful anxiolytic. It makes for an excellent aid for students, professionals, and individuals who want to see a significant improvement in their learning abilities as well as in the promotion of a healthy brain as noopept is considered to be neuroprotective. It is closely associated to the Racetam family because of how it works but, is believed to be 1000 times more potent than the ever famous Piracetam.
Because Noopept can easily cross the blood brain-barrier (BBB) and has very high bioavailability, its effects can be felt immediately (within 15 minutes) after ingestion. Let's go into how it works to better understand this novel compound:
1. Noopept and Choline
Noopept works like the Racetams but is not actually a racetam. It acts on the Cholinergic system, increasing the levels of Acetylcholine and inhibiting it's breakdown in the brain. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter responsible for cognitive function specifically that of memory formation, reasoning, and concentration (4). Because of this, the user will experience an improved memory as well as an increased ability to learn. (1)
2. Noopept and Glutamate
Once available in the brain, Noopept acts on the Glutaminergic system. It targets the Glutamate receptors and inhibits the breakdown of Glutamate, which is known to be a major mediator of excitatory signals in our Central Nervous System and is associated with normal brain function specifically that of cognition, learning and memory. (3)
3. Noopept's Neuroprotective Properties
Noopept works as an antioxidant and prevents toxins and chemicals from damaging the brain. Cell damage and apoptosis is prevented or minimized and can lead to a healthy brain. It also serves to promote an increase in NGF or Nerve Growth Factor Hormone. This is responsible for the growth and survival of neurons. With these mechanisms, it may help individuals suffering from cognitive impairments such as that of Alzheimer's disease -- In fact, it is prescribed and sold in Russia for this medical condition. (1)
4. Increase In Brain Energy
There is an increase in oxygen and glucose levels in the brain. This increase means higher energy levels to focus and improve productivity.(5)
5. Improved Communication with the Brain's Hemispheres
Our brains is divided into 2 hemispheres - the left hemisphere and the right hemisphere, and each of them has their own localized functions. Studies have shown that Noopept influences the development of brain synapses between that 2 hemispheres, thus, contributing to improved communication. This means improvements in an individual's verbal skills. (1)
Maximizing Noopept's Benefits
1. The Correct Noopept Dose and Frequency Experts recommend that when starting Noopept, a dose of 5mg is appropriate. This is because Noopept is much very potent, you should also observe how you react to the drug at a lower dose first. You may take Noopept in 5mg doses 2 to 3X a day and gradually increase the dose over time.
The usual dose for Noopept is about 10 mg to 30 mg daily and it should not exceed a dose of 60 mg so as not to over-stimulate the Glutamate receptors. It would be best to take small doses of Noopept and at multiple administrations since it metabolizes rapidly and has a short half-life of about 30-60 minutes. Also after ingestion, the effects will be experienced after 15 minutes (2).
However, you might also want to consider consulting your doctor or healthcare provider before starting as an underlying condition may play a role in Noopepts effectiveness.
2. Stacking Noopept This is done for maximizing noopept's potential and also to yield more positive/synergistic effects, or to eliminate or minimize the side effects that the drugs may provide. Noopept and Piracetam are often stacked together, because the two nootropics synergize each other's effects thus, giving a very powerful cognitive boost. The stack provides both a quick and sustained supply of brain energy and enhanced cognitive function. Moreover, an additional drug that may be stacked with Noopept and Piracetam is Choline (Buy Alpha GPC or CDP Choline). This is because the Cholinergics also potentiate the effects of Piracetam and also minimizes and prevents potential headaches.
Another excellent stack is the Noopept and Sulbutiamine stack. This is generally recommended for individuals who want a "powerful brain boost" while preventing anxiety. This anxiolytic effect may be attributed to the presence of Sulbutiamine because it is known to act on the Dopaminergic system and leaves the user an enhanced ability to respond to stress and anxiety. You can see a full list of Noopept stacks here. (2)
However if you are a beginner, stacking Noopept with other nootropics is not usually recommended and should be considered only if you wish to enhance benefits that you may already feel. Also, stacking supplements greatly depends on an individual's needs and preferences and it would be best to consult your doctor or healthcare provider first. Additionally, if you are interested, here are comparisons of Aniracetam vs Noopept and Pramiracetam vs Noopept.
3. How to dose Noopept? Noopept is readily available in capsules, pill, tablets or powder form. You may mix the powder with water or you may take Noopept sublingually (place it under your tongue till it dissolves). It is advised to not take Noopept before bedtime or later during the day because of its energizing and stimulating effects, which may interfere with sleep. Additionally if you scroll below to the stats section you can see how other users have dosed noopept and their experience with this compound. Sublingual dosing is recommend but not 100% mandatory, you will loose some effectiveness and may need to dose higher, it tastes a bit bitter and 'warm'. You may additionally wash down any clumps that do not dissolve under your tongue. (2)
Where To Purchase Noopept Online
There are many sources available online to purchase noopept, we are labeling it as a 'supplement' however it is a synthetic compound (made in a lab) and is more a drug than a supplement. It is not FDA regulated in the United States and can be sold as a 'research' chemical, the same story with different agencies applies to countries like Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. It certainly will not be available at GNC, Walgreens, or CVS. There are many vendors online and we select one that has had their product screened by an independent 3rd party lab for Purity and Safety (COA). If you are interested in buying it online from a reputable source click here. We advise you to buy it in powder form if available as it may be cheaper.
Reviewer: Kathleen R. RN, PT Wiki Last Updated: 2016-09-23