Aniracetam is a nootropic supplement under the racetam class that is regarded as being significantly more powerful than Piracetam. In addition to the cognitive enhancement it provides, it also acts as an anxiolytic and improves mood, memory and focus. This is likely achieved through its effects on the D2 dopamine receptors, acetylcholine receptors, and 5-HT2A receptors. However, it is still under investigational usage for treating various neurodegenerative disorders. It also has an effect on the AMPA receptor and is a drug that is thought to offer benefits for individuals with neurodegenerative disorders. Throughout European countries, it can be obtained as a prescription drug, but has never received any approval by the FDA for usage in the U.S. Aniracetam is fat soluble.
Aniracetam is categorized under Racetams.
It is also known as 1-p-anisoyl-2-pyrrilidinone, Ro 13-5057, CAS 72432-10-1, 14-methoxybenzoyl-2-pyrrolidinone, Draganon, Sarpul, Ampamet, Memodrin, Referan.
Also Known1-p-anisoyl-2-pyrrilidinone, Ro 13-5057, CAS 72432-10-1, 14-methoxybenzoyl-2-pyrrolidinone, Draganon, Sarpul, Ampamet, Memodrin, Referan
DescriptionAniracetam is a nootropic supplement under the racetam class that is regarded as being significantly more powerful than Piracetam. In addition to the cognitive enhancement it provides, it also acts as an anxiolytic and improves mood, memory and focus. This is likely achieved through its effects on the D2 dopamine receptors, acetylcholine receptors, and 5-HT2A receptors. However, it is still under investigational usage for treating various neurodegenerative disorders. It also has an effect on the AMPA receptor and is a drug that is thought to offer benefits for individuals with neurodegenerative disorders. Throughout European countries, it can be obtained as a prescription drug, but has never received any approval by the FDA for usage in the U.S. Aniracetam is fat soluble.
Typical Dose1,500 mg/day broken into doses of two or as needed.
Are you feeling gloomy, and have trouble focusing? This 'supplement' or more like a synthetic drug belongs to the Racetam family and is gaining popularity for it's numerous benefits, including an overall enhanced cognition, improved mood, an improved response to stress.
1. Enhanced Cognitive Function It directly influences the Cholinergic and Glutaminergic systems in our brain. This stimulates an increase in the levels of the neurotransmitters Acetylcholine and Glutamine while preventing its breakdown. Both of which are responsible in the proper functioning of the brain, thus improving cognitive function most specifically attention and memory. (1)
2. Anxiolytic properties and Improved Mood Aniracetam does not only influence an increase in Acetylcholine and Glutamine levels but it also directly influences an increase in Serotonin and Dopamine levels in the brain. These two neurotransmitters are solely responsible for an individual’s mood and anxiety level. Serotonin, specifically, helps to regulate the circadian rhythm (the sleep wake cycle of our body). Aniracetam acting on these two agents brings about an enahcned ability to deal with stress and leads to a better mood (1).
3. An Increase in Brain Energy It has been shown that Aniracetam serves to increase glucose metabolism. There is an increase in efficiency with the consumption of glucose and oxygen within the brain, because of this mechanism, mental energy is increased (1). With this, individuals requiring long hours of work and studying may greatly benefit from Aniracetam.
Aniracetam in the field of Medicine and Research
Researches have shown that Aniracetam may be a promising drug not just as a nootropic but also as a treatment in certain conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD and mood disorders. Because it improves neuronal connections and communication, it may greatly benefit those individuals experiencing cognitive decline such as Alzheimer’s disease. Attention and mood may also be improved among individuals suffering from ADHD, mood, and depressive disorders. (3)
1. Proper Dosage and Frequency An obvious one, but it is crucial for any drug or supplement to be taken at the right amount and frequency for it to produce the desired effects while possibly eliminating or minimizing the undesired ones. Generally, a dose of between 600 mg to 1500 mg may be taken daily for a individual. However, Aniracetam has low bio-availability (fat-soluble) and a short half-life of 1 to 3 hours. It is thus recommended, that it be taken at a larger dose and administered at multiple times a day.
It may be taken 2 to 3 times a day, once possibly in the morning, and then in the afternoon and/or evening. (3) Daily dose should not exceed 1500 mg in order to avoid adverse effects. Though it can vary based on body weight, but keep in mind the low levels of LD50 for this drug. The LD50 is 4.5 g/kg orally in rats and 5.0 g/kg orally for mice.
For the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease and Senile Dementia, a dose of 1000 mg to 1500 mg per day is generally taken at a single administration or is divided into two separate doses. However in Japan, Aniracetam is administered at 200 mg doses taken up three times daily for the treatment of Cerebral Infraction associated with anxiety and depression. (2)
When starting with new drug (or summplement as we are calling it here) Aniracetam, researchers suggest to start off with the lowest possible dose, such as half a pill of Aniracetam that is 375 mg, and then gradually increasing your intake.
2. Stacking Aniracetam Stacking can lead to synergistic effects depending on the individual, however it is not recommended you start off with a stack. The purpose of stacking is to maximize a drug’s potential to yield more positive effects, or to eliminate or minimize the side effects that the drugs may provide. Since this drug belongs to the family of Racetams, Aniracetam is best stacked with Choline. Some good sources of which include Alpha GPC, Centrophenoxine, Citicoline among others. Choline is considered a vital component in a stack involving racetams since racetams act as Cholinergics thus, requiring a good and sustained source of the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine. With Choline at hand, the side effects of Aniracetam may be prevented or minimized which includes headache being the most common, along with nausea, dizziness, nervousness, dizziness, and insomnia. (1)
A good stack that you may consider will be a combination of Aniracetam and Oxiracetam. As a pure cognitive enhancer, Oxiracetam is best paired with Aniracetam due to the latter’s additional benefits such as being a mood elevator and anxiolytic and of course, being a potent drug improving cognitive function. With the 2 drugs working hand in hand, a user may feel a mild cognitive boost- an increased attention span, enhanced memory, focus and motivation, as well as an improved mood with an ability to efficiently prevent and cope up with stress. This type of stack will leave you with a “mellow and calm” feeling while doing your tasks. (3)
Aside from stacking Aniracetam with Oxiracetam together, you might also want to consider another combination such as other types of Raceatams, such as Piracetam. Personally, I have noticed that I am able to stay focused much longer when taking Piracetam + Aniracetam. A stack needs to cater to your individual needs- physically, cognitively, and even emotionally. However, we should take note to be cautious when taking multiple supplements especially if they are very potent or you have not encountered using nootropics yet.
Where can I purchase Aniracetam?
Aniracetam powder is readily available as well as Aniracetam pills and capsules, however some users find the powder form to be cheaper than the capsules. Should you be confused as to purchase the powder or capsule form, rest assured that the effects will still remain the same for both of them and the choice greatly depends upon your own preference and the amount you want to spend. As always we recommend PowderCity (link below) if you are looking to buy quality supplements, they also provide a COA for peace of mind.
Reviewer: Kathleen R. RN, PT Wiki Last Updated: 2016-02-15
1,500 mg/day broken into doses of two or as needed.
The most notable side effect of Aniracetam is headaches. However, it can be eliminated with the addition of Choline. Choline can be obtained via eating eggs, or supplementing on Alpha GPC and other related supplements. Other side effects include nervousness and gastrointestinal problems.